Position Title: Build Manager
FLSA Classification: Salary, Exempt
Reports To: Manufacturing Operations Manager
At Esys Automation, our culture of Excellence, Teamwork and Family is very important to our business and future. We strive to attract, retain and develop the best team members and to be a Workplace of Choice. Our desired environment fosters team work, learning and creativity. Our teams enjoy a high level of autonomy and responsibility that promotes innovative thinking and ownership.
The Build Manager is a highly disciplined position focused on creating a lean, efficient and high-quality team. This leader is responsible to implement the company’s vision, mission and long-term goals within the organization. The goal is to ensure the manufacturing team is producing high quality, cost effective systems that meet customer timing. This position is responsible for day to day leadership of all skilled trades and build leaders. This position requires a mindset towards continual improvement and a knowledge and adherence to lean manufacturing principles. This position is for a leader capable of creating a loyal following and a high-performance culture. They are responsible for complete leadership of plant floor build activities.
This position is responsible for the following functions:
- Skilled trades & Build Leader management
- Floor Space Management
- Personnel Development, Teaching and Mentoring
- Quality Process Implementation and Improvement
- Creation of highly efficient build processes
- Demonstrates a commitment to Esys Core Beliefs
- Provides overall leadership within the skilled trades team, creating a highly-motivated team capable of consistently meeting business needs and customer requirements
- Rigorous adherence to Esys Safety processes. Including training program for existing employees, new employees and contractors.
- Ensures robust plant safety procedures and training are in place and that operations are in compliance with all required regulations. Demonstrates a commitment to safe work practices while on Esys or the customer’s premises
- Create alignment within the team around the objectives of the strategic plan by soliciting input and using team member feedback during the planning process. This must be followed with regular communications during the year to share progress. Regularly share the “Why” regarding “What” we are doing.
- Create team building events to promote the development of team culture
- Fosters a customer service culture towards our internal and external customers
- Participate in / conduct weekly roundtable communication meeting with team to share and give each team member an opportunity to share goings on within the company, team and projects.
- Properly schedule all team members to keep team energized, promote work/life balance, project success and customer satisfaction. Regularly monitor travel requirements. Scheduling needs to be highly visible.
- Talent Acquisition / Development / Management
- Recruitment and Development of people
- Consistently offers a high degree of performance feedback to all team members
- Effectively participate in the annual review process by monitoring each employee’s performance, assisting employees with establishing goals, developing training plans and setting future career goals
- Teaches leaders how to lead
- Prepares team members for their next career opportunities by creating training plans, career opportunities and direct mentorship
- Transfers high performing team members to other teams as necessary to create a well-rounded career path therefore facilitating talent development.
- Creation of a pathway for people to progress within the organization
- Considers succession planning on a regular basis. Ensures that we have capable leadership within the company to facilitate growth
- Responsible for creating and administering high quality bi-annual reviews and goal setting for each team member.
- Aggressively mentors underperforming team members on what needs to be done to maintain employment. Offboards underperforming team members when mentorship fails to help.
- Ensure that the team has the knowledge, tools, skills and abilities to function efficiently and effectively at their assigned job functions and provide on the job support and training as needed
- Establish strong relationships with other departments, including Engineering, Purchasing, and Project Management to identify cost reduction opportunities, confirm delivery of materials will meet production schedules and answer questions/escalate issues as needed
- Ensure the shop floor is running in an efficient manner through the development and maintenance of the build schedule and maintaining proper staffing levels (which includes working with outside vendors to ensure contract staff requirements are met)
- Provide oversight to the team regarding assembly and debug of equipment
- Stays up to date on latest manufacturing tools, tactics and techniques. Introduces new and more effective methods of manufacturing to the team on a regular basis.
- Responsible to create and maintain a “World Class” Clean and Organized facility
- Rigorous 5S Program Implemented and Maintained
- Attend engineering design reviews (and/or assign manufacturing team members) to provide manufacturing expertise and ensure designs will be efficiently manufactured
- Lead and/or oversee daily job issue meetings; help remove obstacles as needed and assist the team with escalating issues
- Provide oversight (as needed) with the proper teardown of machinery and preparation of machinery for shipment
- Ensure that Esys products and services continue to be the benchmark within the industry
- Understand and effectively employ the Esys Quality Management System (QMS)
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lead a team and provide oversight and guidance on all related tasks
- Ability to effectively delegate tasks to others
- Advanced understanding of machine design, electrical circuits, electrical panel design, pneumatic design, and hydraulic design
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Advanced ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Basic to intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to work onsite within the JR/Esys facilities, customer and supplier locations as required
- Ability to meet deadlines without endangering the safety of himself/herself or others, or the integrity of the equipment
- Ability to effectively communicate, both written and orally, with the team as well as other departments such as mechanical engineering, controls engineering, project management, purchasing, etc.
- Ability to operate machinery such as aerial lifts, drill presses, belt sanders, and saws
- Advanced knowledge of measuring systems, including standard and metric, and the ability to read a tape measure
- Ability to operate a fork truck in a safe manner
Required Education and Experience:
- 10+ years of experience building custom machines per engineering drawings in an automotive, capital equipment, industrial or machine tool setting
- 5+ years of experience leading a team of manufacturing personnel at a lead, supervisor or manager level
- Will operate in an office environment as well as a manufacturing environment
- Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, scanners, plotters, printers and fax machines
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- May be expected to work on a manufacturing shop floor either at Esys or a customer/supplier facility:
- May involve exposure to hazards
- Work surfaces may be slippery, unstable or uneven
- Shop temperatures may not always be controlled and could vary from hot to cold
- May work in areas where ear, eye, and/or foot protection is required
- Employee is regularly required to stand, walk, or sit; use hands to handle or feel objects; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear
- The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities require the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
- Travel by car and/or plane to company facilities or to customer or supplier locations is required